Home Brief Jharkhand Student Protest Enters 20th Day as Recruitment Exam Row Deepens
BriefTopline

Jharkhand Student Protest Enters 20th Day as Recruitment Exam Row Deepens

Share
Share

The protest by government-job aspirants in Jharkhand entered its 20th day on Thursday, with students continuing their agitation over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations and tensions rising after a march towards the state Assembly in Ranchi earlier this week.

Police have registered an FIR against around 300 unidentified people in connection with the August 10 march. The case includes allegations of violating prohibitory orders, damaging government property and attacking police personnel. Authorities said video footage from the protest would be examined to identify those allegedly involved.

The students, gathered under the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, have been demanding changes in the recruitment process and action over examinations they believe were affected by irregularities. Their demands have included cancellation of examinations under question and an independent investigation into the recruitment system.

The agitation has been centred at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi since July 25. The protest intensified on August 10, when a large group of students marched towards the Assembly during the state’s Monsoon Session. Police and protesters confronted each other after barricades were breached, with authorities using force to disperse the crowd.

Police have maintained that action was necessary to enforce restrictions around the Assembly and prevent the situation from escalating. Students, however, have continued to question the government’s handling of the protest and say their core demands remain unresolved.

The state government has pointed to investigations already underway into alleged examination irregularities. Earlier, the government held several rounds of talks with student representatives, but the discussions failed to produce a settlement. Protest leaders have said the agitation will continue until their demands are addressed.

The issue has also begun attracting wider political attention. Opposition leaders have backed the students’ demands, while the ruling side has accused political groups of using the protest to gain advantage. Former chief minister Raghubar Das has also met the protesters and called for a CBI investigation.

For many of the students, however, the dispute is not simply about one examination. Years of preparation, money spent on coaching and application fees, and age limits attached to government recruitment can make repeated delays particularly costly.

The protest is now entering another phase. Security has been tightened in Ranchi, with students planning further action in the coming days.

The immediate challenge for the government is to address the students’ concerns without allowing the confrontation to escalate further. For the protesters, the demand remains straightforward: they want a recruitment process they can trust.

Share
Related Articles

ISRO Tests Upgraded SSLV Booster, Opening Door to Higher Payload Capacity

The Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully tested an upgraded first-stage booster...

India’s Deep-Tech Push Gains Momentum as AI, Chips and Space Attract More Investment

India’s deep-tech sector is moving into a new phase, with investors putting...

NATO F-18 Shoots Down Drone Over Romania After Airspace Breach

A Spanish F-18 fighter jet operating as part of a NATO air-policing...

India Raises LPG Production Targets as Middle East Conflict Puts Supply Under Pressure

India is asking oil companies to produce more cooking gas at home...